What is the cause and treatment for ear pain?

Posted on Thu, 3 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi. I am suffering from pain below right ear. At times it feels like some liquid is flowing inside. This happened two months back as well. currently even when I burp there is a pain at that point. when I tilt head towards right I get a feeling that some liquid is moving. Any help ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please meet your ent doctor Detailed Answer: Hello Please dont worry!! you seem to having what is called as secretory/serous otitis media , which means collection of fluid in the middle ear! Dont worry , this is a sterile fluid and does not indicate an infection. The causes for this fluid collection can be many, including an allergy , sinus infection or any mass in the nose.these will cause the blockage of the eustachian tube , which is a normal tube between the ear and nose , which results in accumulation of secretions in the middle ear. For this you should meet your ent doctor, who will do some audiological tests and an endoscopy to confirm the diagnosis and find out the cause for the collection. This is a relative easy condition to treat and you will need medications to decrease the secretion of fluid like tab cetrizine 10 mg , and nasal decongestants like oxymetazoline 2 drops 3-4 times a day to help drain the secretions via the eustachian tube. Take care! and meet your ent doctor!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist