What is the cause and treatment for ear pain?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My ears really hurt. . first it started with just one.. now its both... it hurts when the are touched and I don't know what to do!
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
infectious/neurologic needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Painful to touch ears might not be the ear at all its usually deceptive facial pain referring to ear and slight touch may trigger the pain.
Other possibility is of outer or middle ear infection like otitis extena and media or inflammation of ear cartilage like chondrodermatitis nodularis.
Trigeminal neuralgia usually is associated with every facial movement pain like brushing blowing nose and flossing even so that is least likely in your case.
wax and cerumen blocking the ear may also cause that.
Despite the etiology put some olive oil drops in your ears and use lignocaine and ciprofloxacin combination ear drops for the pain relief.
You can take acetaminophen for pain too. You will need a prescription of oral antibiotic too like amoxil.
Get to an otorhinilaryngologist and let them examine and correlated the pain clinically for further management. Don't worry it happens and simple week medicines fix this.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX