What is the cause and treatment for diarrhea in children?
My daughter is 2 year old and 6 months old now. 2 weeks back she complained of stomach ache on and off. later she got allergy on her skin. We took her to a local doctor. Doctor gave an external application and Atarax syrup. Allergy reduced after 2 days of the syrup, but she started passing stools so often. Today she passed stools 4 times in 3 hours. She is passing stools whenever she is eating something. Her intake of food is normal. She has got addicted to milk twice a day. I gave been giving her Zeegut sachets since 2 days, but it is not helping. Please tell me what could be the reason she is passing stools so often. Please advise and prescribe some medicine to control it.
Continue ORS and Probiotic
Welcome to Healthcare-Magic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms XXXXXXX
Diarrhea in children is usually self limiting. It requires supportive care by maintaining nutrition and hydration.
If the following criteria are fulfilled then there is no cause for concern
1. No blood in stools
2. Baby accepting feeds well
3. No signs of dehydration
4. Urine output adequate
5. No redness in perianal region
As you mentioned as her intake is normal there is nothing to worry
Acute gastro-enteritis the principle of manegment is replace what is getting lost through stools by giving oral rehydration solution, maintaining nutrition to prevent weakness.
I would suggest the following
1. Home made Oral rehydration solution: To a glass of boiled and cooled water add 20 gms or glucose or sucrose(Sugar) and a pinch of common table salt. Feed the child as much as possible. Commericially available WHO recommended ORS can also be used
2. Maintain Nutrition: Dhal water, wheat porridge, rice water, tender coconut water, curd rice
3. Probiotics : Continue Zeegut which you have already started
4. Syrup Wallamycin : 5 ml thrice a day will be helpful
Consult Physician when you notice following red signs
1. Dry oral mucosa which implies dehdration
2. Absence of tears while crying
3. Blood/mucous in stools
5. Decreased movements and excessive sleepiness
In case you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.
Wishing you and your family happy and healthy life.
Dr Deepak Kishore
Lassi and butter milk good alternative
Dear Ms XXXXXXX
Do not be rigid on potty training. Ideally children can be potty trained till 3 to 4 years of age. Speak with your kid whenever you are at home with her. Fix up timing of potty even if she has no urge to go at that time, this will slowly cultivate in good habit over period of time. Get a plastic potty which is easily available in market or online store.
Siloderm Ointment is very helpful in managing diaper rash.
Children are very fussy let them sometime break the rules and occasionally have chips and chocolates. It should be a habit, as they will be more prone for constipation. Butter milk ( sweetened), lassi will be some alternatives to curds. You can also add 1 spoon of sugar in 1 cup of curds to make it more palatable.
Do write to directly anytime you need any assistance.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the treatments for diarrhea and acidity
- What is the treatment for vomiting and diarrhea
- What treatment is suggested for diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea in children
- What is the treatment for diarrhea and constipation
- What to eat diarrhea treatment
- What is the treatment for diarrhea in children
- What can cause diarrhea and what is the treatment
- What is the treatment for diarrhea in diabetics
- What are the possible treatments for diarrhea