What is the cause and treatment for barrett's esophagus?

Diabetologist
Question
I am a Type 1 Diabetic. Have had a endoscopy and diagnosed with Barrett's. Could stomach emptying slowness from gastroporises contribute to the developing of Barrett's? Also my Dr. put me on Prilosec (the generic form) 1 time a day,sleeping on a wedge and seeing her in 3 months. She didnn,t mention diet particularly. What are side effects from Prilosec and is this healable?
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. M. Vamsi Krishna 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Gastroparesis can cause Barrett's.

Detailed Answer:
Dear,

I can understand your concern.

There are many physiological and pathological conditions which will contribute to reduction of lower esophageal tone producing reflux
1.Age-with age the tone of esophagus will decrease.
2.consumption of Coffee and spice foods in excess.
3.excessive smoking
4.diabetic gastroparesis
5.Obesity
6. pathological conditions like Hiatus hernia....etc
In your condition there might be two contributing factors like Age and Diabetic gastroparesis.

Due to Gastroparesis the stomach takes too long to empty its contents (delayed gastric emptying). The vagus nerve controls the movement of food through the digestive tract. If the vagus nerve is damaged or stops working, the muscles of the stomach and intestines do not work normally, and the movement of food is slowed or stopped. This Vagus nerve is damaged due to Diabetic neuropathy.
Due to slow emptying Acid will get reflux in to esophagus. For long term reflux will produce Barrett's Oesophagus.

The medication given by your doctor is called Omeprazole which is called as proton pump inhibitor.This is a good medication and do not have much side effects.This medication reduces the acid content of your stomach and prevents damage.

The good news is this condition is very well manageable. Its very important to keep your diabetes under control. Diet is a very important part in treating this condition.

I will suggest you some tips to overcome this problem.
1.Practice taking six small meals a day instead of three larger meals, sit straight or take walk after taking meal for 10-15 mins and avoid sleeping or lying down immediately after taking food.
2.Avoid taking too much spicy and fatty food, fatty food slows down digestion further and make things worse.
3.fiber need to be consumed in a moderate quantity.

I suggest you to meet a dietitian for further adjustment of diet.

I would like to know your latest lab reports of blood sugar and average blood sugar.
Are you having any burning sensation in your feet?
Kindly let me know what are all the medication you are taking?

Relax you will be normal again in no time.
Enjoy good health and happy life.

I am ready for further discussion.

Dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Diabetologist