What is the cause and treatment for balanitis?

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hi doc,

I just need to clear up a little bit of confusion regarding a yeast or balanitis encounter that happened. After brief, very brief genital rubbing with a female partner, no penetration, 2-3 days later i began to develop red spots strictly on the penis glands and foreskin. It was treated for balanitis. My question is what caused my balanitis... was it yeast that was living on just the vulva lips/inner labia. Where does yeast live in the vagina, does it live in secretions or just on the lining because I never penetrated, she wasn't wet, didn't come intact with secretions to the best of my knowledge and the genital contact was for XXXXXXX 10 second, each of the 3 intervals.

Here is the other side to the story, i may have stupidly triggered this event. I'm uncircumcised (never had a yeast infection before) and the next day after the encounter i saw what appeared to be new fordyce looking spots on the foreskin, along with more pronounced penile pearly papules, i get fordyce on foreskin and have had them before. I figured that this may have been due to the brief oral that was given for 5-10 seconds with teeth involved. So for the next two days i wore neosporin for hours on end. I heard that neopsorin can't give a yeast infection but some else that could look like one? In the end when i got treated, the balanitis cream worked immediately, red spots, lesion looking things were gone in 2 days. When the specialist swabbed, she swabbed for herpes, and yeast or some fungus. Results came back and it was negative for herpes, negative for some fungi but positive for yeast. Another question: does yeast reside naturally on the penis glands, to the extent that if she swabbed, it would just come back as yeast, it was a PCR test.

Could this balanitis just be due to irritation and bad hygiene. I didn't shower immediately after the encounter and stupidly just rubbed some purell on glands before going out, stupid once again i know.

I have a question not relating to those above, but how much integrity do the foreskin and penile glands have when coming in counter with teeth during oral sex, my question being is that i saw not abrasions or cuts, just the new line of fordyce spots with the naked eye, the following day
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
caused by bad hygiene over a long period of time

Detailed Answer:

I do not think that balanitis is caused by very brief episodes of sexual encounter. I also think that it is caused by bad hygiene over a long period of time and not for single day.

Some kind of normal flora reside in some parts of body but does not cause any infection. But, the test for which you were positive may not be normal flora. In my opinion this infection was triggered by inadequate personal hygiene.

As far as the second question is concerned, if there are no cuts and abrasions foreskin prevents invading infection. However the structures can get traumatized during a rough intercourse. Therefore the type of intercourse and duration matters more.

Stay healthy and thank you for consulting! You can contact me again anytime, if you need clarifications or further assistance in future. Kindly rate the answer if you are satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad