What is the cause and treatment for back pain?

Dr. Behar Greca

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Back Pain
Question: I have had back pain located in an area just below the waist line for about eight months. It feels like a burning or a tear on either side of the spine. I am very stiff when I get up from a sitting position, I have no pain when I am lying down or sleeping. The pain is not constant but when I walk over hill and XXXXXXX up or down rocky terrain, at the end of the day it will hurt. Any ideas.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Vertebral column arthritis...

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thank you for posting!

I have gone through your query and I understand your concerns.

Based on your symptoms, I think that you suffer from vertebral column arthritis, which damages vertebra and vertebral discs. The burning sensation derives from the effect this condition has on the nerves.

One thing that can help you with it is wearing a corset, which would be really helpful in relieving pain. Non steroidal anti inflammatory medicines can also help in treating arthritis. I recommend using Meloxicam.

But, before you start the treatment, you need the following tests in order to find the right diagnosis: lumbar X-ray followed by a lumbar CT-scan, Fibrinogen test and a complete blood count. The results will tell the condition of arthritis and will help the neurologist determine the right dosages.

Ask me for anything unclear.

Take care,
Dr. Behar.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj