What is the cause and treatment for allergic dermatitis over penile area?
I'm a 22 year old male, in a monogamous relationship for the last year. I'm overweight and for the last six months, haven't followed a good diet (lots of sugars - soda, donuts, etc).
I always have protected sex with my fiancé but last week, a few hours after intercourse, I noticed a couple of small (2mm in diameter) red painless spots, barely raised, without any discharge or blisters, mostly round but not uniform edges, on my penis head.
Last night however, I noticed they are spreading, now I have 7 in total - 4 as mentioned above (pale red), 2 that JUST seems to be forming (skin color but I can still see the bumps - 1mm in diameter) and one big one - 4mm in diameter, redder with a rougher surface.
Also, my entire penis head looks sort if dry.
can you hep me identity this?
Kindly upload few good resolution pictures
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum.
I can understand your concern for red painless spots on penis.
In view to help you better I request you to kindly upload few good resolution pictures of your affected penile area so that I can analyze it better. Kindly send good resolution pictures from different angles focusing the area of concern which can be seen on higher magnification. For uploading the pictures you have a facility on the right side of the page or can send on:
with "attention:Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia"
The pictures are of utmost importance to diagnose the exact entity so kindly bear the pain to send the same. Hope to hear soon from your side.
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD- Dermatology & Sexually transmitted diseases
I have emailed the pictures since I was having trouble uploading them here directly. Please get back to me as soon as you can.
Mild contact dermatitis; No STDs.
Hello young man,
Welcome again to the forum and thanks for posting the pictures. After analyzing the complete query with pictures I can make out that it is the mild allergic dermatitis over penile area.
To tell you simply- our skin is renewed regularly and there is barrier function of the skin by which the things coming in contact of our skin do not cause any problem in majority of cases.
But at certain times when this barrier is breached then it leads to entrance of all the things into the skin rather than staying superficially.
Most importantly the heat, humidity can cause this redness. Some time the friction due to masturbation or normally due to contact of undergarments can cause it. As per the history as well as picture it does not seems to be related to any sexually transmitted infection.
I would like to provide you certain suggestions which would be very helpful in reducing the present symptoms and in future also:
1. Do not touch the penile skin too often.
2. As you appear to be uncircumcised male so clean the genital area 3-4 times thoroughly and gently by retracting your prepuce completely backwards.
3. Do cold water compression: meaning cotton soaked in the water and compressing for 5 minutes.
4. Stop application of any kind of medication without the advice of the doctor. Even do not apply multiple kinds of antifungal and steroids which itself can lead to sensitization of the area.
5. Avoid intercourse as well masturbation for few weeks (atleast 1 week). After every sexual intercourse too, wash the area properly.
6. Wear cotton undergarments. Change these two times a day. Do not wear any synthetic or tight garments. Wash your undergarments by properly rising in adequate amount of water.
Again a final word of suggestion is not to touch the area unnecessarily any time. We quite often touch the penile area in anxiety and therefore irritate the skin which is one of the sole most important cause of penile redness.
The redness will subside by itself and there is no need to apply any medications.
I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.
"Wish you good health"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)
My all best wishes for your good health"
Hello young fellow,
Welcome to the forum and thanks a lot for understanding the simplicity of the condition.
It is just a temporary situation and you will get better by itself. DO not worry of any type of STD in the same and do not try to apply any cream or ointment. Just maintain good hygine and be happy!!!s
I will be gald to answer any further queries or if not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.
"My all best wishes for your good health"
Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Symptoms of miliaria ,allergic dermatitis
- Treatment and cure for allergic dermatitis
- Suggest treatment for allergic dermatitis
- Miliaria ,allergic dermatitis causes
- Can adderall cause allergic dermatitis
- Treatment and cure for miliaria ,allergic dermatitis
- Allergic dermatitis causes
- Allergic dermatitis treatment
- Diagnosis of allergic dermatitis
- Symptoms of allergic dermatitis