What is the best treatment therapy for a post nasal drip?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 18 Jul 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have post nasal drip. Discharge is clear and a cough for two weeks with clear sputum. No fever. No weight loss or any other changes in my general health. I do smoke cigars. No shortness of breath during work outs.
Normal pulse and blood pressure.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

Has the antihistamine been helping at all? Do you have a history of allergies? If either is the case, I'll write you back with recommendations for dealing with an allergic response or nasal irritatant.

If it isn't helping, it may be a lingering cold (upper respiratory virus). You can tray a nasal steroid such as Flonase, which is sold over the counter. This can sometimes help stabilize the mucus membranes of the sinuses and nose so that they aren't so reactive. It can take a couple of days to start working.

If you have no history of high blood pressure or prostate problems, you can also try an over the counter decongestant. Pseudoephedrine is sold without needing a prescription but you do need to sign for it with an ID (some people cook it into meth). Try it at first in the morning as closer to bedtime it keeps some people awake.

A safe thing to add is a nasal saline. You can get packets of buffered salt to use in a nettipot with boiled then cooled to room temp. water, or you can buy ready made saline sprays such as Simply Saline or NealMed. Don't use this at the same time as the steroid nasal spray as you don't want to wash the steroid down into your stomach - space them by at least an hour.

I hope you are feeling better soon!