Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What is the best treatment for deviated nasal septum apart from surgery?

Answered by
Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 1113 Questions

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son is been living with DNS for 11 yrs + now. He is 25 now and otherwise is in good health and fitness. He gets a blocked nose disturbing his sleep patterns and then that in turn makes him more vulnerable to catch a real cold! The triggers are when he rides a scooter more and when he gets exposed to more breezy cool weather; And also when he plays football outdoor or jogs. We have lived in US till he was 13. And he has travelled on holidays to several overseas cities and Whenever he is overseas, he never gets the problem. This has made us defer the surgery as an option for him. Also, several advised that once he gets older, the problem may recede or be less frequent which has not been the case. Would like treatment options other than Surgery and if Surgery, would that resolve his DNS for good or re-occur again later?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Septoplasty Surgery Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Your son is suffering from the DNS problem (Symptomatic DNS) more than 15 years. In this condition I personally advised to that your son goes for septoplasty (Surgery for DNS) as early as possible. For your kind information--> 1. There are no chances of recurrence of DNS after surgery in this age. 2. The main reasons for this surgery in your son condition are to repair a crooked, bent, or deformed nasal septum that blocks the airway in your nose. People with this condition usually breathe through their mouth and may be more likely to get nasal or sinus infections. 3. Non surgical remedies in the form of nasal decongestant are symptom relief remedies which can take care of the problem temporarily; but it wouldn't cure the problem. Therefore better to go for surgery as early as possible. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query. Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Sinus infection

doctor1 MD

I recently had a routine visit with the VA clinc. The EKG stated Right bundl branch block. All of my blood work came back normal, including chlosterol (169), trigliserites are normal and my BP was 110/70. My pulse rate averages 108. 41 years old Male 5 10 245lbs Family history of heart disease I do not feel bad except the occasional dizzy feel which she thinks it could be the sinus infection that I have right now. The DR scheduled me for a echo cardio gram. Does this mean I have to get stints. I am really nervous and now I am having a hard time sleeping because I am nervous.

doctor1 MD

I went to the Doctor's today. I was diagnosed with a minor sinus infection, but I have a resting heart rate of about 120bpm and I'm having a little difficulty breathing. Plus, I can't sleep... I know I should be exhausted, seeing that I haven't hardly slept in the last three days. Maybe a max of five hours last night, other than that two or three hours.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I m a 33 yr old female, 117 lbs, and have been on antibiotics for about 1 1/2 weeks due to a sinus infection and bladder infection- I still feel very bad. I feel weak, my heart is beating irregularly, having hard time breathing comfortably, and I have upper back pain and muscle spasms. I feel like an idiot going back to the doctor AGAIN, but I almost feel like I m going to pass out.

doctor1 MD

was diagnosed with a severe sinus infection affecting eyes, ears, throat, and bronchitis. after a week, and a round of amoxicillin and prednisone, I have been having numbness in my face (lower jaw, lips, tongue) and hands. along with general weakness and fatigue. what might cause this?

doctor1 MD

Can you take amoxicillin and Valtrex for shingles at the same time. I have a sinus infection and my shingles has returned. YYYY@YYYY

doctor1 MD

Hello Sir/Mam, My self XXXXXXX XXXX and i m 29 yrs old.I m accountant by profession.from last 1 yr i m suffering from Sinus problem.I DAILY FEEL PAIN IN MY FOREHEAD IN MORNING NEAR 11-12 AM. AND IT IS NOT SHARP PAIN .I FEEL PAIN IN MY FOREHEAD AND...

doctor1 MD

I had a sinus infection about a month ago and right after i had a headache on the top back of my head. It was not severe but throbbing intermidiatly. Head ache long gone but the same spot is sore to the touch and i is sore if i move my head most...