What is the best treatment for deviated nasal septum apart from surgery?

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 3 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My son is been living with DNS for 11 yrs + now. He is 25 now and otherwise is in good health and fitness. He gets a blocked nose disturbing his sleep patterns and then that in turn makes him more vulnerable to catch a real cold! The triggers are when he rides a scooter more and when he gets exposed to more breezy cool weather; And also when he plays football outdoor or jogs. We have lived in US till he was 13. And he has travelled on holidays to several overseas cities and Whenever he is overseas, he never gets the problem. This has made us defer the surgery as an option for him. Also, several advised that once he gets older, the problem may recede or be less frequent which has not been the case. Would like treatment options other than Surgery and if Surgery, would that resolve his DNS for good or re-occur again later?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Septoplasty Surgery Detailed Answer: Hi, I have gone through your query. Your son is suffering from the DNS problem (Symptomatic DNS) more than 15 years. In this condition I personally advised to that your son goes for septoplasty (Surgery for DNS) as early as possible. For your kind information--> 1. There are no chances of recurrence of DNS after surgery in this age. 2. The main reasons for this surgery in your son condition are to repair a crooked, bent, or deformed nasal septum that blocks the airway in your nose. People with this condition usually breathe through their mouth and may be more likely to get nasal or sinus infections. 3. Non surgical remedies in the form of nasal decongestant are symptom relief remedies which can take care of the problem temporarily; but it wouldn't cure the problem. Therefore better to go for surgery as early as possible. If you have any doubt, I will be available for your query. Wish you good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad