What is the best treatment for dandruff and flakes in head?

Dr. R.G. Joshi

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am getting dandruff/tiny flakes sort of things in my head. even after daily hairwash. usually it comes on every winter. when ever I comb my hair, it just get collected on comb. I just feel embarrassed sometime. I do apply coconut hairoil sometimes on my scalp. but there is no help. Please suggest. living in delhi, India.
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: dandruff or scalp psoriasis. Detailed Answer: Hi thanks for writing here.Tiny flakes can be due to dandruff.It is a fungal infection.Using antidandruff shampoos like ketoconazole twice weekly will reduce dandruff and scales.Use it on regular basis.Other diagnosis is scalp psoriasis.This will require treatment under the guidance of a dermatologist.So I will advise you to start using ketoconazole shampoo for 2 to 3 weeks and see for improvement.In case there is no response consult a dermatologist.Hope this will help you.Take care.