Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

What is the best pain medicine for a gout flare?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
What is the best pain med for a gout flare?
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Lupus
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Brief Answer: combination therapy Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX The best pain medicine for a gout flare would be a combination therapy. This can be a combination of drugs like colchicine plus NSAIDs, or oral corticosteroids plus colchicine, or intra-articular steroids plus colchicine or NSAIDs. It all depends on how you respond to the treatment. Ultimately, the aim of treatment would be to terminate an acute flare and obtain maximum pain relief. In the NSAIDs group, indomethacin, naproxen and celecoxib are commonly used. In oral steroids, prednisone is routinely used to abort an attack. Your treating doctor could decide on the best medicine for you depending on your response to these drugs, and weighing the risk benefit ratio of using these drugs. Hope this helps you. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Allergist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor