Ask a Dentist   »  

What is the best medicine for jaw pain?

Question
I'm currently having great difficulty with opening my job while eating or drinking. It's extremely painful and I avoid eating because of the pain. I have Trigeminal Neuralgia but the shrinking of my mouth is now at 23 and was wondering what course of action I should take o this as I'm barely able to be eat.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in TMJ

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Carbamazepine

Detailed Answer:

I understand how painful trigeminal neuralgia is and how it hurts life. I wonder if you are talking about jaw and not job as in question. You have to avoid stimulating the pain attacks and everything can be stimulating like drinking or eating hence sleeping is preferred till you take carbamazepine or baclofen.
Trigeminal neuralgia responds with carbamazepine medications help with single doses. On They can be prescribed by your doctor only. Till then only high dose ibuprofen up to 600 mg can help partly. since it's over counter you can try.