Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

What is the best blood pressure medication while suffering from diabetes?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 1966
Answered : 4506 Questions
What is the best blood pressure medicine to take if one has diabetes. My doc has added garlic to my medicine I take losartan potassium 100mg, effient 10mg. metoprolol succer 50zidemg,simvastatin 40mg , hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Klor- Con/EF 25mEq. I exercise four to five times a week eat no meat. I am 6 feet 2in 225Ibs. My readings have been in the 150/95 in the AM hours. The lowest has been 128/ 77. I have coronary artery disease and have two stents. What Gives R.D. XXXXXXX Jr
Posted Mon, 17 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Adjust dosage / Add a fourth drug... Detailed Answer: Dear friend, Welcome to Health Care Magic You are already receiving 3 drugs for the pressure – Losartan, Metoprolol and Thiazide The maximal dose of Losartan is 100 mg / The usual dose of Thiazide is 12.5 mg… / metoprolol up to 200 mg… Discuss with your doctor – he may reduce the thiazide / step up the metoprolol… Check your electrolytes – especially potassium – losartan tends to conserve, thiazide depletes… In such situations, usually a Calcium Channel Blocker, like Amlodipine, can be added Good luck Take care Wishing all well God bless
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the best blood pressure medication while suffering from diabetes? 23 hours later
So how do I take a drug like Viagra if he gives this amiodipine.
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can use - Detailed Answer: Hi Nitrates - is a contraindication for Viagra.. [Check with your care provider - that there is no nitrate in your drug list - some common names are Isordil, Ismo and so on ...] Otherwise, it is safe / you can go ahead and use Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor