Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What is the best acute treatment for an occasional alcohol overdose?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5564 Questions
What is the best acute treatment for an occasional alcohol overdose? I'm usually a runner with occasions of pain. Th ank you,
Posted Thu, 26 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 33 minutes later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Generally, no treatment is necessary if the alcohol overdosage is not too much. Symptoms would improve on own, after the alcohol level reduces on own. However, there is a need to watch for hypoglycaemia (low sugar). Glucose should be taken to avoid this complication. Secondly, thiamine (vitamin B1) is also required in patients with alcohol overdosage to prevent damage to certain vital parts of brain. If there is severe alcohol overdosage, hemodialysis may be required to remove the excess alcohol from the body rapidly. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor