What is the best OTC drug for BPH?

Dr. Klarida Papaqako

Posted on Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: which is the "best" otc for BPH ?

See what I've already tried below
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no best medicine, but some option that you can try.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

There is not best medicine for BPH. There are some option that seem to work differently in different people.
The first options are alpha-1 blockers which include alfuzosin 10 mg, doxazosin 2-8 mg, tamsulosin 0.4-0.8 mg, terazosin 2-10 mg, and silodosin 8mg. You seem to be trying this option. You will need at least 3 weeks to access if it will work or not.

If these do not give the desired relief from the symptoms, then the next option are 5-alpha reductase inhibitors (5-ARIs) especially if estimated prostate size > 30 g or PSA level > 1.4 ng/mL. These include dutasteride 0.5 mg and finasteride 5 mg orally once daily. It needs ≥ 3 months to assess treatment response.

If these do not help as well, then the next option it is a combination of both these classes of medicines.

Yes, prostatic urethral lift (UroLift) is one of the options of treatment (not a medicine, but a procedure) which improves lower urinary tract symptoms without increasing risk of erectile dysfunction.

Hope this is helpful.
Let me know if you need more clarifications.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad