Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

169 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What is the average height of a 12 years old? How to increase height?

Answered by
Dr. Kaushik K Murthy


Practicing since :2006

Answered : 338 Questions

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Question: I have a 12 year old daughter and she is considered short for her age at 54 inches. Is there anything she can do to increase her height? Do supplements work?
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 1 hour later
Hello ,
Thanks for writing to us.
At 12 years of age , the average height of a girl would be 58 inches or 147 centimetres. Of course you cannot consider only one parameter to decide whether the child is short for age or not. There are several other factors which play a vital role. First of all , the mid parental height i.e the average heights of both the parents taken into average, any family history of short stature, her arm span, her upper and lower segment ratio, the race/nationality of the child, her nutritional status, the daily activity of the child, past height to weight ratio records etc.
What I will suggest you is to go back to your pediatrician, have a detailed work up on anthropomometry, i.e the detailed parameters of the child- height ,weight, arm span, segmental ratios etc.
Also I would suggest you to get a thyroidal hormone status checked for your child. Regarding the supplements other laboratory tests, your primary pediatrician will be your best guide.
Hope I have answered your query and cleared your doubts.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 2 hours later
Thank you for your prompt response. I will certainly take your advice and check with my daughter's pediatrician. For my general knowledge though I would like to know whether there are any supplements or vitamins or foods that are proven to promote growth in height in young children. At present, she takes 1 Haliborange Kids Multivitamin Fruit Softie and 1 Seven Seas "Once-a-Day" cod liver oil capsule. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kaushik K Murthy 11 hours later

Good morning. Thanks for your follow up.

The multi-vitamins whatever you are giving to your child at present is more than enough. I do not think any extra supplements are required. There is no evidence that specific supplements or nutrients would aid in improving the height in children. Please be relaxed. It will get better with time. Please make sure you get a detailed work up on your child done by a pediatrician.

I would suggest you to get her involved in more outdoor activities like swimming and playing a simple game like rope skipping or basketball.

Thank you.

With regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Mohammed Kappan

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to

Recent questions on  Multivitamin

doctor1 MD

Dear Respected panel, I have some gestric problems and suffer from sudden diorrea, stomuch pains even if i am eating simple home cooked food. Such attacks last for a week or so when I have bloating of the stomuch, increased level of acidity etc. These atttacks are repeated almost every two months. Recently I did a CT Scan and the findings were There is evidence of Sigmoid Diverticulosis with no evidence of acute inflammation. I am also on these medication: Amlopin 5mg, Batacod 50mg,Valzaar 80, Clopivas 75 AP, Tonact TG, Folvite 5mg, Multivitamin. As the blood test shows increased level of CPK value, I have been advised to cut out Tonact TG. The Gestro specialist has asked me to take Selace Forte and Maxep daily. My Questions are. 1. what is the medication I should take in place of Tonact TG. Most other Statins have side effects on me ( headac, non Concentration). 2. what is the remidy for Signoid Divertucolisis. 3. Are there any side effects of Selace Forte and Maxepa on me as I am on Blood pressure reducing medication and Clopivas AP 75 which is a blood thinner. I regularly walk 5 km daily, do my back stretches and play golf twice a week. I am 63 years old, weight 65kg, height 5 10 . I would be very greatful if you would advice me in the matter. Pradip Patel

doctor1 MD

I am a 30 year old female. Always been pretty active, but am feeling pretty fatigued lately. Low mood, lack of focus. I was thinking about taking a vitamin supplement from NeuroScience (not sure if you are familiar with them), that supports adrenal health (AdreCor with SamE). What are your thoughts? Also, I have been an on and off again smoker for a long time. I read the Daxitrol is helpful to control cravings and impulsive behaviors. I prefer natural supplements vs synthetic.

doctor1 MD

I am 24 years old male, 192cm ,previously 100 Kg, now 92 Kg, with juvenile diabetes ,power lifting since 6 years. 6 months ago I had an attack of hypoglycemia with convulsions after which I had suffered from triceps weakness, vertical diplopia and intermittent left ptosis. MRI and EMG were normal, acetyl choline antibodies were +6. I took mestinone for 2 weeks without any improvement. Now I am on Ronicol ( vasodilator) and multivitamins.

doctor1 MD

,unmarried,5'4,facing severe hair fall, using mintop, havent seen any result, have developed some dandruff problem all of a suddden, cud it be coz on mintop, have used it for 1 week only so far.....had tried it 5 years back and it was quite effective..what vitamin supplements can be taken with mintop for the hair

doctor1 MD

Hi Doctor, My wife is 12 weeks pregnant now. She is suffering a lot with constipation though she is try to take a lot of water as advised. COuld you advise if there is a medication or something for this. Also, right now she is suffering from mouth...

doctor1 MD

I am 45 days pregnant and i already have 1 child who is 2 years old. Myself amd my husband have not planned for the second child so we want to abort this pregnancy . We consulted a doctor and he has given 6 tablets for 10 days most of which is...

doctor1 MD

I am a 49 yo female. I have had external hemorrhoids in the distant past. I pass a large (long), snakey, formed stool daily. The terminal part of the stool is sometime mushy. Occasionally the stool clogs the toilet. I have a very fibre rich diet...