Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
180 Doctors are Online

What is the appropriate treatment for homozygus for Factor v Leiden?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
What is the most appropriate treatment for one who is homozygus for Factor v Leiden and not had any clots. Also knowing I am double positive my kids for sure have one copy (husband negative). Are contact sports like football still ok or are teens advised not to play these types of sports. If they play, could a teen take aspirin during sports seasons? I have seen a specialist once but I have since seen contradictions everywhere I read. Is there a test for my kids and i to see how susceptable we ar to blood clots?,
Posted Sat, 13 Jul 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 7 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

As you know mutations affecting Factor V Can lead to significant increases in susceptibility to blood clots. Patients who are heterozygous for this Have a 5 to 7 fold increased risk for developing a thrombosis compared to the average population.

In patients who are homozygous this risk increases to at least 25 to 50 fold.

At this time there are no indications to start prophylactic anticoagulation for patients who harbor the factor five leiden mutation whether it be heterozygous or homozygous.

You are correct in assuming that your children will inherit one copy of the factor five mutation. There is no indication for them to limit physical activity if they inherit this mutation. Also there is no indication to take anything such as aspirin to prevent blood clots.

Several things are important to remember especially in the case of homozygous for this mutation. There are certain risk factors which certainly elevate risk for developing thrombosis even higher. This occurs in cases of obesity, immobility, hospitalization, surgery or trauma, pregnancy, taking hormonal medications such as contraceptives, Prolonged air travel or car travel Or the development of some type of Autoimmune conditions as well.

In your case it is very important to be attentive to these risk factors which I mentioned above. I think it would also be reasonable for you to establish care with a hematologist for Consultation and surveillance.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional specific concerns.

Dr Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Hematologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor