Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

What is the alternative for colonoscopy for an old lady?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 2130 Questions
Hello Dr., My grandma is 77 yrs old and is bedridden for the past two years due to an unsuccessful hip bone surgery. She has arthritis. For the past few days she is passing blood along with her stool. The physician suspects an ulcer of colon but is suggesting that a colonoscopy would be difficult for her at her advanced age. Pl suggest alternatives including capsule endoscopy of colon. I am based at kolkata in India
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 10 hours later
Thanks for your query.     

In summary, an elderly bed ridden female ,known case of arthritis ,post unsuccessful hip surgery,passing blood along with stool.

Blood in stool can be due many reasons.Reasons vary whether the blood is fresh red colored or altered( black or brown colored) blood or depending upon on her bowel habit also .It can be due to simple bacterial infection of large gut ( colon) or drug induced if she is taking any medicines. Some times in elderly more serious disease can also present with blood in stool. As her condition is not permissible for colonoscopy ,she can rightly go for capsule endoscopy.If feasible for her she can go for barium study of large gut . Best result are of colonoscopy. Contrast enhanced CT & MRI may help to reach the diagnosis.Help of experienced endoscopist may prove fruitful.

‘Hope I have answered your query, “Wish her Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”, I will be available to answer your follow up queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor