question-icon

What is the alternative for Tinaderm to effectively treat eczema?

Posted on Sat, 21 Nov 2020
Question: my mom has very small rashes on her back neck , appears to be as eczema , i checked with the pharmacist for TINADERM , but was informed it is not available in the market anymore, could you suggest an alternative please
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:

Kindly upload images

Detailed Answer:

Tinaderm is an antifungal - tolnaftate. It is not meant for eczema.

For fungal infection you may use a different antifungal instead of Tinaderm cream e.g clotrimazole 1 % cream, twice daily.

However, I request you to kindly upload a few images of the affected area on her back so that I am able to have a look and guide you better.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (13 hours later)
i have uploaded the pictures , kindly check and advise, thanks
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (23 hours later)
Brief Answer:

Oral antihistamine and topical steroid

Detailed Answer:

It is I think eczematous dermatitis rather than a fungal infection. I suggest you apply a topical moderately potent steroid cream e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05 %cream (Tenovate cream), twice daily.

In addition, I suggest you take an oral antihistamine e.g Cetrizine tab once every evening for symptomatic relief from itching.

These are prescription medications and I advise you to kindly talk to your local practitioner for a prescription of the same.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Kakkar S., Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist