What is the advantage of doing a karyotype?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 4 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi Doctor,
I have heard that kariotype testing is very useful, especially for both parents before conceiving. What kind of health problems can this test predict for the parents themselves and for the future baby?
Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can predict chromosomal abnormalities.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
Karyotyping is a procedure to identify chromosome number and any structural defect.
It can detect a chromosomal abnormalities in parents, so see the future outcome of baby.
In female it is 46XX chromosome and in male it is 46XY chromosome considered normal.
Any variations can considered abnormal.
Usually it detect abnormalities like down syndrome, trisomy 18 and 21 in unborn baby in high risk female.
Hopefully found useful, feel free to discuss further information.
Good luck.
Follow up: Dr. Richa Agarwal 19 hours later
Thanks a lot doctor. Also I have heard that some women conceive easily in their mid-forties, either through IVF/ICSI or naturally. I was wondering if these women have any genetic characteristics in common, that can be identified e.g. by karyotyping or any other tests. Have any studies been conducted about this? Best regards.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
They are more fit and healthy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

You are most welcome.
Sorry for the delay in my response.
This is a very good questions but I think there is no such studies are available ( atleast in my knowledge).
Studies done to see at which age IVF is more successful, their is no study available to see the age effects on natural conception but it is true that it is difficult to conceive after a certain age and chances of genetic and chromosomal disorder are increase with age and chances of misscarriage are more.
As you say some women conceive easily after 30 or in her mid 40 yrs. of age either with IVF or naturally I think they are more fit and healthy and leading a healthy lifestyle and their eggs are also healthy.
Maybe some genetic trait also play a role in it.
Hope it is of some use.
Good luck.