What Is The BMI Of A Person With Below Height And Weight?
Should reduce weight and what is the method to reduce weight.
Thanks for using HealthCareMagic.
The data provided by you indicated that your BMI (Body Mass Index) is 28.3 kg/m2, while the normal BMI range is between 18.5 to 24.9 kg/m2.
In order to lose the excess weight it is important that you follow an active lifestyle. A healthy combination of balanced diet with proper exercises would help you achieve the desired results. Before starting the diet, it is important to understand that the most effective weight loss diet is the one that help you “Lose body Fat”, and not just weight, as weight loss can occur even when you lose body’s water or protein. Therefore, it is important that you maintain a good and healthy food intake and at the same time work on burning the excessive fat that has already accumulated.
If the current diet is not helping you to lose body fat then it’s time to revise the diet and improve the metabolism with regular exercises. Any change in current routine, either in frequency, type, intensity or duration would help. The key to healthy weight loss is a combination of both, diet and exercise in your daily routine. Regular cardio exercises are found to be more effective in quick weight loss while Yoga improves the flexibility and organ function. The core strength training (with weights) will improve metabolism and help you burn fat faster, even when you are not working out. This happens with increase in muscle mass with regular exercises.
The dietary modifications to help you reduce weight includes:
• Reduce the calorie intake: Foods rich in fat or sugar and the refined foods like refined wheat flour, provides more calories. It is advisable to limit the intake of these foods in the diet. You can start with a simple practice of reducing sugar in your beverages like, tea and coffee, replacing the white bread slices with whole wheat breads.
• Choose the fat wisely: The saturated fats like ghee, vanaspathi, cream and butter do not qualify to be a part of your weight loss plan. Vegetable oils are much safer when taken in controlled quantities. Limit the oil intake and completely avoid taking the deep or shallow fried foods. Nuts like almond and walnut are loaded with healthy fats and can be included in the diet.
• Include fiber in diet: Fiber is the insoluble parts of the plant food sources. Since they are not digested in our gut, they remain to be there for longer time and do not make us feel hungry. The fiber rich foods like beans, green leafy vegetables, whole grains and cereals, fruits and vegetables are found to be helpful in losing weight.
• Stay Hydrated: Drink water and other drinks like sugar free lemon juice and clear soups to keep the body hydrated. Salted lemon juice, tender coconut water, clear soups and buttermilk may also be included but avoid the fresh fruit juices, carbonated beverages, soda and Sherbats that have added sugar.
• Divide your meals into smaller but frequent portions. And start the meals with raw salads, clear soups or even a glass of plain water.
• Choose the low fat dairy products like low fat paneer and low fat curd.
• Include antioxidants in your diet. A liberal intake of fresh fruits and vegetables would provide its sufficient quantities.
Start regular exercises, brisk walk for 45 min 4 to 5 days in a week is considered ideal for weight loss. You may start with 15 min and gradually add 2-4 minutes every day to reach 45 minutes. Try sit ups and abdominal crunches to tone up the abdominal muscles. It is important to be active as much as possible. Also make small lifestyle modifications like, eating food on time, avoiding activities like reading and watching TV while eating. Also, it is important to avoid unnecessary visits to restaurant and supermarkets. Sleeping on time and taking sufficient sleep helps in maintaining the metabolic rate.
Remember that weight loss is a slow process and requires patience with focus. Set realistic goals and work towards achieving them.
Here is a day’s sample diet plan to help you understand the composition and timings:
Lukewarm water with lemon and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon powder - 1 glass + Presoaked almonds / Roasted pistachio - 4 / Roasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds - 1 Tbsp
Whole wheat bread with peanut butter – 2 slices OR Vegetable poha/ Dalia/ Seviyan/ upma - 1 cup
OR Idli 2pc. With Sāmbhar – 1 cup OR Cornflakes with skimmed milk (less sugar) – 1 cup OR Stuffed chapatti (2 no.) with dry vegetable – 1 katori
+ Skimmed milk (sugarless) – 1glass
Flavored green tea (sugarless) + High fiber biscuit - 1
2 chapatti + dal - ½ cup with salad 1 katori + 1 katori skimmed curd.
(You may replace 2 chap with 1 cup boiled brown rice twice a week, for lunch only)
Tea / Coffee ( ½ tsp sugar) + Puffed rice – ½ cup / sandwich or Vegetable roll -1 / khakhras or Dhokla – 2 pieces / Boiled corn – 1katori
Fruits (avoid the carbohydrate rich fruits like XXXXXXX sapota, grapes, banana, custard apple and watermelon also avoid fruit juices and fruit milk shakes) / Green smoothie like spinach and beetroot or orange cilantro and lettuce smoothie. – 1 Glass.
2 chapatti + vegetable 1 katori + skimmed buttermilk 1 glass + salad 1 katori.
Boiled beans with curd – 1 cup
Vegetable XXXXXXX upma, poha, seviyan etc. – 1 cup with plain skimmed buttermilk – 1 glass
Start your meals with salads and buttermilk, and stop eating when you are just full.
Avoid snacking in between. Choose from a variety of vegetables and fruits; reduce potato, colocasia, yam and sweet potato. Consume 2.5 to 3 liter water and other fluids like lemon juice, fresh clear soup and tender coconut water.
Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask further questions regarding the diet.