What is soft diet?

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: i have had some red blood for several days. went to the hospital friday and after a ct scan decided it was colitis and to stay on a soft diet. got agumention for a bladder infection. should I be worried and what is a soft diet

Answered by Dr. Ralph Chambers 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hello. This problem needs more investigation

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear, welcome to HCM,

First, a soft diet is basically soups, broths, bananas,porridge, bread, juices, mashed potatoes, chicken.

Colitis is a broad term and if it's an infection you need a course of appropriate antibiotics for that. I would get a stool culture to determine which antibiotics should be initiated.

You also need colonoscopy to see if this is an inflammatory bowel disease like ulcerative colitis.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Ralph Chambers