What is sedimentation rate and CMP test for?

Question
I had a routine physical exam in XXXXXXX 2014 with my primary doctor. All my results were within range. I'm still having specific symptoms so I saw a endocrinologist. She ordered blood tests to done, but I asked her to avoid repeat blood tests if possible so I wouldn't have to pay for the same test twice. She agreed. As I'm looking at the test she ordered - 2 of them are: sed rate & cmp. In my visit with my primary, I already had my sed rate tested so why do it again? I also had a basic metabolic panel and hepatic panel test so why do the cmp? Can someone help me understand why the endocrinologist may have ordered these 2 specific tests since I already had them done in XXXXXXX and they were within normal range???
Posted Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There are great at exploring further

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about all the troubling symptoms that you are experiencing. Sedimentation rate and CMP are most often considered basic and regularly and routinely ordered when trying to understand a disease condition. This would offer him a platform to be able to compare to the previous tests to tell whether you have witnessed changes, be them positive or negative. This serves as an exploration, evaluation and monitoring tool. These are tests results that can change rapidly and patients can have even 3 draws a day if they are sick and under intense monitoring.

I understand you are concerned about paying double for these tests but almost every physician would want this for comparison and a baseline to determine what areas need further investigation in relation to your symptoms. This is not money wasted but spent for the right purposes.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for trusting us with your health question this day and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.