What is rotavirus vaccine used for?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Question
Dear Doctor,
1. i need to know about rota virus vaccine. I heard that it is banned in US. is it safe to give it to my 5 month old son? FYI. one vaccine is already given before 1.5 month back.
2. My 4 month old son is having diarrhea since 4 days. stool is green. he might be teething as he is sucks his thumb and he is drooling. I have shown him to nearby doctor and he is on septram syrup and nutrolin b since 2 days. please help me diagnose him correctly.
Posted Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Vaccinations

Answered by Dr. Arun 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
no. it is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for writing to health care magic.
1. Rotavirus vaccine is safe and recommended worldwide including XXXXXXX and US.
You can give the second dose as soon as possible.
2. Probably he is having viral diarrhoea, unlikely to be teething induced. Give him the medicines your doctor prescribed. Ensure he passes urine atleast 6 to 8 times a day.
It will settle soon.
Dr Arun