What is peroneal nerve palsy?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 12 Nov 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: What is peroneal nerve palsy? My son has had numbness in his foot and outside lower leg. He has had an ultrasound on his knee and an mri of his back. The tests didn't show anything abnormal. He read about peroneal palsy and the symptoms seem to fit. He is scheduled for a nerve study but now he thinks it is unnecessary because he thinks he can just change the way he sits and the numbness will go away. He's had these symptoms for about two months. What is the treatment for peroneal palsy? Should he have the nerve study done or will the condition resolve itself without treatment? He walks by dropping his foot because he has no feeling in his foot. Could this cause permanent damage?
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Peroneal nerve may be injured at the knee.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Peroneal nerve palsy is mostly related to peroneal nerve at the knee.

Causes include dislocated knee, metabolic causes, prolonged pressure on nerve due to leg position etc.

Blood work results are necessary to evaluate the possibility of metabolic damage.

Nerve conduction study is necessary to understand better your condition and to assess the level of damage.

Both, conservative treatment ( mainly physical therapy ) and surgical treatment are possible in case of a diagnosis of peroneal nerve palsy.

Please discuss with your son's Doctor about these issues.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Greetings.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee