What is organic psychosis?
When psychosis is due to an organic disease.
Thank you for using HealthcareMagic!
Psychosis is a psychiatric term used to describe an abnormal condition of the mind in which there is extreme impairment of ability to think clearly,to evaluate reality objectively.
It is a serious mental disorder that can cause delusions, hallucinations, serious defects in judgment and other cognitive processes.
Psychoses are classified as organic or functional mental disorders.
Organic psychosis is when the psychotic symptoms (delusions,hallucinations etc) are caused by a known physical cause in the brain (organic disease of the brain). In this case psychosis symptoms are considered secondary due to a disturbance in brain structure or function.
Many medical conditions can affect brain function and cause symptoms of hallucinations and delusions including :-Head injury ,brain tumor ,Alzheimer disease, cerebral arteriosclerosis, thyroid disease, vitamin deficiencies, liver disease, epilepsy, Parkinson disease, and encephalitis,etc.
Hope I answered your query.
If you have any other question or doubt to clarify,please feel free to ask,I will be happy to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is psychosis nos medication
- What is psychosis
- What is typhoid psychosis
- What are the symptoms of menopausal psychosis
- What is the cause of typhoid psychosis
- What is psychosis disorder
- What is the remedy for postmartal psychosis after the delivery
- What is a stress induced psychosis
- What is florid psychosis
- What is the treatment for psychosis and hallucinations
- What causes swelling under lingual frenulum?
- What causes unexplained painful bruise on wrist?
- What causes anemia?
- What is the cause and treatment for temporomandibular joint disorder?
- What causes anxiety?
- Can Lansoprazole,Cephalexin and Clarithromyc be taken together?
- How to control high BP?
- What causes painful leg swelling in an elderly person?
- Suggest treatment for fatigue,nausea and depression in an elderly
- Is heart beat of 70 beats/min,dangerous?