What is normal blood pressure level?

Dr. Prasad

Posted on Thu, 17 Jul 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My BP continues to be @ 137/90 for many months now. I was advised to take 40 mg of Telma BP tablet daily so that it can be kept at bay. Some people say this is normal BP (I know, normal is 120/80), others say that it is slightly on the higher side but as you age your BP would go up which is normal. I am healthy, brisk and able to do my daily routines. I do not have time to exercise because of my work schedule (I need to catch a train at 6:30 in the morning to reach office by 8 pm and catch the 7 pm train to reach home by 8:30). Sometimes I walk for 2 1/2 kms to railway station in the evening to catch the train but get bored easily and tend to take an autorickshaw. Work is not that stressful and life is also easy. I am a vegetarian and not eating too much oily stuff. I used to have backpain sometime back which is now completely cured due to some exercises and posture changes. I have no pains now. I sleep for around 6 1/2 hours daily (11.00 pm to 5.45 am). I do not see too much TV and spend my time with my family when I am not working and relax a bit. I haven't done a completely medical check for almost 2 years now, but I keep checking my cholesterol levels every 6 months as it is used to be around 300 sometime back. They are normal now because of some medication and change in life style patterns. Need to check it now again.

Am I a hypertension patient ? What can I do to reduce by BP levels and should I take those tablets daily ?
Answered by Dr. Prasad 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not hypertensive yet...

Detailed Answer:

At the outset I am extremely pleased to discuss with an very active and healthy individual. I would love to be some one as health conscious as you in future.

Coming back to your question, I would not label a person as hypertensive with this blood pressure number. However there is a constant debate about use of antihypertensive in such cases. You can find equal number of doctors voicing their views on both ends. Therefore medical fraternity has not been able to arrive at a concensus whether or not to use antihypertensives in such cases. In such cases, I would leave the decision in the hands of patient especially when they are aware of health importance.
You have an option to quit drugs provided BP numbers remain the same and continue with active exercise and low salt diet. Keep BP numbers constantly monitored and reassess the need. Alternative continue taking telma as it is one of the very well tolerated drug.

Whatever may be the decision, you should start involving some exercise such as walking or climbing stairs and avoid salt and high calorie diet.

Hope it helped you.

Follow up: Dr. Prasad 3 hours later
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question Doctor. I will follow your instructions. One more thing. My second son who is 9 yrs old continues to bed wet especially on days when he forgets to urinate before going to bed. I am told that he would stop automatically as he grows. Is there any advise would you like to give in this respect ? He doesn't bed wet if we as a family are on a tour spending night away from home. I think hs is probably conscious about it but not that conscious while at home.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs training...

Detailed Answer:

There are some medicines available to treat Nocturnal enuresis. However before you consider it, you can just try training him. Since this issue is not consistently seen I'm sure he will learn.

There are various means to train him. What I suggest is training him to wake up at fixed hour say, at 12 - 1 in the night and encouraging him to visit the bath room. With regular practice he can be tuned in to stop bedwetting.

Hope this answers your question.

Regards ,