Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

What is meant by pancreatic calcification?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2010
Answered : 661 Questions
My 82 year old mother has been told there is calcification on her films on her pancreas. Apparently her docs have looked at several years worth of films and it has been there for many years. What does this mean? One doctor wants her to have a diagnostic screening procedure for pancreatic cancer...another says it's been there for years with no change, so let it be. So, what does calcification mean...Pardon typos, taking asthma meds Advair for COPD
and what should we do
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 2 hours later
Thanks for the query

The calcification is a pathological process that means there is deposition of the calcium in the cells that are necrosed after inflammation. The pancreatic cancer have certain feature like obstructive jaundice and right upper quadrant severe abdominal pain. So it does not seem to be a pancreatic cancer. still for further evaluation, ERCP is the best option to observe under direct vision.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is meant by pancreatic calcification? 8 hours later
thanks for you answer. What is ERCP please? And where can I find out more about this procedure?

Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 5 minutes later
thanks for the reply

ERCP is known as Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. its just like an endoscopy by entering a camera through ampulla of vater in duodenum and going through pancreatic duct towards the pancreas and gall bladder. it can be diagnostic or therapeutic. biopsy can also be taken through this procedure. You can find much information about it on the internet.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Oncologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor