Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

What is meant by mucosal thickening in ethmoid sinuses and polypoidal mucosal thickening?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 2095 Questions
hello I am XXXXXXX here,My father in law met with an accident and his CT scan says that he has "Mucosal thickening in ethmoid sinuses and polypoidal mucosal thickening in bilateral maxillary sinuses.What does it mean???As in health wise??And what should we do now???
He has been complaining of head aches after the accident,and there is swelling on the right hand side of his head where he got hurt during the accident,there are no external injuries but the pain still persists.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

Mucosal thickening and polyps in sinuses are usually seen in chronic sinusitis. It may also be due to infection of the dental root. This can be treated with antihistamines like levocetrizine, decongestants and steam inhalation. Please consult your treating doctor before any medicine is started.

Headache can occur as a result of sinusitis and also due to head injury. You can give pain killers like Ibuprofen. It might take a few days or weeks to get relief from the pain due to the swelling on the head. So, do not worry and your father should take proper rest for fast recovery.

If the problem persists, you should consult an ENT specialist and a Neurophysician.

I hope this is useful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor