Owl Image

What is meant by missing a beat after every 14 beats? Should I be worried?

Owl Image
Dr. Gopi A

Cardiologist

Question
My husband had gone for an ECG couple of days back. The doctor told him that he is missing a beat after every 14 beats. Do we need to worry?
Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Gopi A 20 hours later
Dear,

Missed beats are not very uncommon and are generally benign.

Since your husband is on treatment for hypertension, I recommend that you do a 24 hour holter monitoring for him. This will give us an idea of the frequency of his missed beats and number of total beats. A treadmill test will also provide addition information to plan the next steps of management. Based on these results we could decide whether he needs any treatment for his missed beats or not.

Please get back to me with the reports and I will clarify further.

With regards,
Dr. A. Gopi