Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What is meant by hypo/hyper? Diet to lower down the TSH level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 2094 Questions
My husband has a TSH level of 33 . Got diagnosed last week.
His weight is 80 Kgs , and height is 5 '6". He involves in office work a lot and litte bit stressed .
Excerise -NO,Water Intake- 1 Litre per day.

I need the info what thyroid he had menas HYPO/HYPER?
I need the complete diet instructions(Indian style) for leveling down the TSH .?
Amount or Level of excersie he should do?
Water Intake?
Posted Thu, 3 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query here,

Your husband is suffering from hypothyroidism which is confirmed by high TSH level 33 m IU/ml.
He is also overweight according to his height, although in case of hypothyroidism he may be having swelling all over body. I expect this to improve with treatment by thyronorm.

He should take normal diet with iodized salt; he should reduce calories and fats from diet to lose some weight and take fruits and vegetables approximately 1600 K cal/day and simultaneously start exercising like walking 2-3 km per day to help in weight loss.
He should also increase water intake to at least 2 to 2.5 lit/day, and reduce work stress as far as possible.

Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.

With Regards
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor