What is meant by hypo/hyper? Diet to lower down the TSH level?

Dr. Akhilesh Dubey

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: My husband has a TSH level of 33 . Got diagnosed last week.
His weight is 80 Kgs , and height is 5 '6". He involves in office work a lot and litte bit stressed .
Excerise -NO,Water Intake- 1 Litre per day.

I need the info what thyroid he had menas HYPO/HYPER?
I need the complete diet instructions(Indian style) for leveling down the TSH .?
Amount or Level of excersie he should do?
Water Intake?
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 1 hour later

Thanks for posting query here,

Your husband is suffering from hypothyroidism which is confirmed by high TSH level 33 m IU/ml.
He is also overweight according to his height, although in case of hypothyroidism he may be having swelling all over body. I expect this to improve with treatment by thyronorm.

He should take normal diet with iodized salt; he should reduce calories and fats from diet to lose some weight and take fruits and vegetables approximately 1600 K cal/day and simultaneously start exercising like walking 2-3 km per day to help in weight loss.
He should also increase water intake to at least 2 to 2.5 lit/day, and reduce work stress as far as possible.

Hope this information helps you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to answer that.

With Regards
Dr. Akhilesh Dubey M.D.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad