Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What is meant by hypo/hyper? Diet to lower TSH level?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 103 Questions
My husband has a TSH level of 33 . Got diagnosed last week.
His weight is 80 Kgs , and height is 5 '6". He involves in office work a lot and litte bit stressed .
Excerise -NO,Water Intake- 1 Litre per day.

I need the info what thyroid he had means HYPO/HYPER?
Can u explain HYPO /HYPER ?
I need the complete diet instructions(Indian style) for leveling down the TSH i.e through diet .?
Amount or Level of excersie he should do?
Water Intake?
Milk and curd?
Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 14 hours later

As regards the report of TSH of your husband, it is pretty high that means your husband has features suggestive of Hypothyroidism.

It is natural for husband to gain weight despite any amount of exercise or diet control, the latter only helps to control weight in case of natural obesity not in case of hypothyroidism.

Having said that, it is important for your husband to take replacement dose of Thyroxine that can be taken as Tab Eltroxin (to prescribe correctly you may visit your nearest Doctor, a Medicine specialist/Thyroid specialist).

In the mean time, you may ask your husband to follow normal dietary restriction and if he exercises, he will benefit (less chance of having heart ailment etc).

Please do write back if you have more queries to ask.

With best wishes from Dr Chowhan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Radiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor