What is meant by hypo/hyper? Diet to lower TSH level?

Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan

Radiologist, Nuclear Medicine

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My husband has a TSH level of 33 . Got diagnosed last week.
His weight is 80 Kgs , and height is 5 '6". He involves in office work a lot and litte bit stressed .
Excerise -NO,Water Intake- 1 Litre per day.

I need the info what thyroid he had means HYPO/HYPER?
Can u explain HYPO /HYPER ?
I need the complete diet instructions(Indian style) for leveling down the TSH i.e through diet .?
Amount or Level of excersie he should do?
Water Intake?
Milk and curd?
Answered by Dr. Manoranjan Chowhan 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,

As regards the report of TSH of your husband, it is pretty high that means your husband has features suggestive of Hypothyroidism.

It is natural for husband to gain weight despite any amount of exercise or diet control, the latter only helps to control weight in case of natural obesity not in case of hypothyroidism.

Having said that, it is important for your husband to take replacement dose of Thyroxine that can be taken as Tab Eltroxin (to prescribe correctly you may visit your nearest Doctor, a Medicine specialist/Thyroid specialist).

In the mean time, you may ask your husband to follow normal dietary restriction and if he exercises, he will benefit (less chance of having heart ailment etc).

Please do write back if you have more queries to ask.

With best wishes from Dr Chowhan

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E