What is meant by diffuse bulge of l2, l3 disc causing thecal sac indentation mild scoliosis?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: diffuse bulge of l2, l3 disc causing thecal sac indentation mild scoliosis noted towards right
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
HI, thanks for using health care magic

Scoliosis implies that there is curvature of the spine. They are different types based on the cause and age that it developed, it may or may not be associated with pain. Treatment depends on the severity of the curvature and the likelihood of progression.Treatment can entail observation, use of back braces or surgery in some cases.

The osteophytes are protrusion of the bones and are an indicator of bone degeneration, they are commonly seen in osteoarthritis.

The disc dessication that is described between L 4-5 and L 2-3 are also commonly seen in degeneration.The disc are present between the vertebra and they act as shock absorbers and cushions.
The disc are composed of an inner aspect and outer ring and normally contain a certain amount of fluid, disc dessication implies that there is a reduction in this amount .Degeneration or wear and tear are the most common reasons.

As they weaken they may protrude, in your case the protrusion of the disc has resulted in an indentation of the thecal sac (membrane surrounding the spinal cord and nerves). As a result of this you may experience pain going down your leg/legs, numbness or any abnormal sensation in your lower limbs.

The cauda equina and conus medullaris (end of the spinal cord) are normal, this is good. If these were affected you may experience symptoms such as abnormal sensation/lack of sensation in the anal or genital region,problems with urination, incontinence of stool.

The treatment normally entails a few days of rest (not too long because it can cause reduced muscle strength and loss of bone density), use of pain medication, muscle relaxants if they are thought necessary and physiotherapy.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions