question-icon

What is meant by "Abnormal R-wave progression, early transition"?

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015
Question: Abnormal R-wave progression, early transition-what does this mean?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
it is a non-specific finding.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

Abnormal R wave progression is a common is a non-specific finding on the 12 lead ECG that in some cases it could indicate a more serious problem.
The most common causes are :
-Conduction defect like Bundle Branch Block
-myocardial infarction of the anterior wall
-left ventricular hypertrophy

This is a non -specific finding that also might be a normal variant.For this reason this finding is interpreted taking in consideration other findings in ECG, symptoms and medical history.If a patient has symptoms that indicate a heart problem and in ECG is found Abnormal R-wave progression , then the patient need further investigations like stress test, heart ultrasound etc.

In your case ,if your ECG was normal (apart this finding) and the other test you have done ,are normal ,then this finding doesn't indicate a problem.In this case you have nothing to worry.

Hope it helps.
Let me know if you need further help.

Kind regards,
Dr.Rovena Murati
Dr. Rovena Murati