What is meant by AML M5?

Dr. Monish De

Oncologist

Posted on Sat, 22 Nov 2014 in Cancer
Question: It is in connection with my previousQuestion about AML, Let me know what is AML M5
Answered by Dr. Monish De 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
type of acute myeloid leukemia

Detailed Answer:
Hi

AML M5 is also called Acute monocytic leukemia.

It is a type of acute myeloid leukemia.

The disease is associated with abnormality in chromosome 11.

In this disease greater than 20% blasts cells are found in the bone marrow.

Treatment of AML M5 consist of intensive chemotherapy or bone marrow transplantation.

DR DE
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Monish De 11 minutes later
Is the types M1 to M7 are same.
Answered by Dr. Monish De 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Type M3 is different

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Types M1, M2, M4, M5, M6 and M7 are the same and are treated the same way.

Type M3 is not the same and is called acute promyelocytic leukemia which needs a different treatment plan.

If you have no more clarifications then please rate the answer and close the thread.

DR DE