question-icon

What is fibromyalgia?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016
Question: I've jus been told I most likely have fibromyalgia. I'm not sure of the depth of this problem & is it chronic?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
not really

Detailed Answer:
Fibromyalgia is a painful condition where patients have pain all over. It is a chronic condition. Exercise and sleep are key in relieving the pain.
In fibromyalgia patients there is usually not other cause found for the pain. In your case it sounds like you have plenty of other conditions that can cause pain.
The most typical fibromyalgia patient has pain all over, lasting for more than 3 months and there are at least 11 of 18 tender spots that are extremely tender when the doctor pushes down on those specific 18 spots.
I guess it is possible that you have fibromyalgia and other things causing pain. The best type of doctor to make the fibromyalgia diagnosis is a rheumatologist.
Narcotics are not usually helpful in fibromyalgia. Medications used are certain types of antidepressants and certain anticonvulsants. These medicines for some reason seem to decrease the pain in fibromyalgia patients.
Here is a link to a reliable site where you can get more information about fibromyalgia.
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/fibromyalgia-beyond-the-basics?source=search_result&search=fibromyalgia&selectedTitle=2~143
I hope you get pain relief soon,
Dr. Robinson
Dr. Kathy Robinson