What is difference between bone metastasis of prostate cancer and bone cancer?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Cancer
Question: What is difference between prostate cancer mastates material to bone and actual bone cancer. If bone cancer is cureable why is mastates material not? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
They represent two different stages of cancer.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read carefully your query and understand your concern.

A tumor (prostate cancer,bone cancer etc) originate from one single cell which after having undergone some mutations start to proliferate in uncontrolled way and it is called cancerous cell.
So from one cell is formed a mass that will continue to grow.The tumor in early stage is localized in the site of origin (means in the organ of origin ) and if it continue to grow ,the tumor will spread in the organs near the tumor and in distant organs .
Cancerous cells can break away from the tumor , enter in bloodstream and affect organs in every part of the body.These tumors spread in the body away from the organ of origin (primary site ) are called Metastasis .
Metastasis represent a advanced stage of the disease when the treatment is difficult and the survival rate is low.

The difference between bone metastasis of prostate cancer and bone cancer is that when metastasis in bones are diagnosed it means that prostate cancer is in advanced stage .The tumor is spread in an organ (bone) away from primary site of tumor (prostate ) what means that cancerous cells has spread in bloodstream and any organ in the body can be affected.
The treatment has to be systemic but it can't kill all cancerous cells in the body due to their spread.For this reason it is not curable.

In primary bone cancer the cancer is in his early stage ,it is still confined in the organ of origin ,has not spread.So it is possible to remove the tumor and to cure the patient.

Hope my answer has helped.
Let me know if you have any additional question or doubt to clarify .I will be happy to assist you further.

Best Regards!

Dr.Rovena Murati
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 54 minutes later
Thank you for your response. My oncologist is recommending that we begin treatment with harmone therapy which in my readings will only slow the growth of the mestateses whereas if we would move to use of Radiopharmaceuticals (Strontium or Radium) we would have a better chance to KILL some of the cancer and provide a better chance for increased longevity. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is an option.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

I am sorry for the health issues you are having and totally understand your concern.

It is important to know that in the stage of bone metastasis in prostate cancer there is no cure for it.The treatment is palliative and the aim is to relieve pain, help prevent complications, and improve your quality of life.

A number of therapies for advanced prostate cancer are available,including: - -Hormone therapy
-External beam radiation,
-Radiopharmaceuticals,
- Systemic chemotherapy

The choice of the right therapy will depend on some factors including :
-Which bone is affected
-The damage caused to the bone
-The symptoms (how severe is bone pain).
For example External beam radiation can be used in focal painful lesions but not in systemic disease.
In multi-focal disease with bone pain due to cancer radiopharmaceuticals can be used.

Radiooharmaceuticals used to treat pain and prevent complications in bone metastasis in prostate cancer are relatively new compared with other options.
There are used in bone metastasis resistant to hormone therapy but some studies have concluded that they should always be considered in the earlier stages of bone metastasis rather than as a last resort.

These classical bone-seeking radiopharmaceuticals, despite achieving significant palliative benefits in patients with painful bone metastases, have all failed to improve survival.
This means that all options for bone metastasis management can't cure it ,they just relieve pain,prevent complications like fractures and improve quality of life .

So,bone seeking radiopharmaceuticals doesn't increase the survival rate ,or at least clinical tries up to now haven't concluded so.Probably further clinical tries are needed to evaluate the effect in survival.

You may ask your oncologist if you are a candidate for this treatment and discuss with it the best option.
As I said a number of elements related with tumor (localization,spread,severity of lesions), your symptoms and overall condition are taken in consideration to chose the most appropriate treatment option for you.

Hope it was of help.

Wish you all the best.Good luck.
Take care!

Dr.Rovena Murati