What is curvilinear density of an x-ray report?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: What is curvilinear density in left lung, probably lingular region, most consistent with a thin band of scar and/or atelectasis. From x-ray of shoulder report. ??
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is probably scar or area of sub segmental collapse due to old infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. There is a thin band like shadow in the left lung and this is likely to be due to a scar formation or a small area of sub segmental collapse in the lung. This is not a serious concern.

2. Such bands are seen in many elderly patients and especially those who might have had a lung infection in the past, many years ago.

3. The above observation does not compromise the lung function in any way and no treatment is required. It is not related to the shoulder findings. However if the patient is having any respiratory symptoms then a consultation with a primary care doctor is suggested.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 3 days later
If I haven't had an X-ray of my lungs in over 20 years, should I have that done to see if there is any other scaring?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Getting a X ray done is better for you

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Since it is over 20 years that you have got a X ray done therefore getting another one is recommended.

2. It will certainly show any other areas of scarring and if anything requires to be done.

3. X ray is a basic investigation and it is always better to have a recent chest X ray at your age since the last one was done years ago.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist