What is causing the pain behind ear?

Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari

Posted on Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: "Dear Doctor, my son ear paine to day early morning plz. sugessation... XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 19 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.
There can be many reasons behind ear pain.

Commonest cause is ear pain due to common cold as ear and nose are connected by one common tube.

Other reason is your son would have inserted something in ear or he would have scratched it due to irritation of wax.

If you rule out above mentioned possibilities, then other cause could be simple boil occurring in ear causing tremendous pain. Other cause could be living insects going in to ear like ants.

Sometimes middle ear infections can cause similar pain like otitis media.

These are just possibilities, you need to approach ENT specialist and get examined your son.
I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, please revert back.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.