Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

What is causing irregular heartbeat, social anxiety, acne, insomnia and weakness?

Sep 2012
User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 1416 Questions
I think I have some form of hormonal imbalance, which causes the following symptoms:

Underweight (despite me having a good appetite and eating very well)
Acne (regular and consistent breakouts on face, partially on chest and back)
Hyperhydrosis (excessive sweating, I believe this could be caused by the two below symptoms)
Social anxiety (I always feel uncomfortable in social situations)
Extreme sensitivity to temperature (I am either very cold, or very warm)
Irregular heartbeat (This happens all of the time)
Shaking (I can't keep my hands still, and my legs start to shake if I stand up for too long)
Weakness (After walking for 5-10 minutes I feel like I have run a marathon)
Muscle spasms in face and body (normally throat, around my lips)
Insomnia (It normally takes me 3-4 hours to get to sleep)

From the small amount of research I have conducted thus far, I believe this could be a thyroid issue ? I am almost certain this is a hormal issue nevertheless.
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 19 minutes later
Thank you for your query.

From you history, it can be said, that it is probably due to hyperthyroidism. In this condition, the basal metabolic rate becomes very high which leads to decreased body weight. In this condition, gonadotrophins are also increased which leads to acne formation. It causes muscle contractions which leads to tremor. It leads to high pulse rate, which may be irregular. Emotional disturbances are common which leads to nervousness and anxiety. This condition may lead to some other hormonal disturbances, like increased chance of diabetes.

So, you are right. There may be hyperthyroidism.

What you will do?

Immediately consult with an endocrinologist. But before going to him, you have to do a thyroid profile test including TSH, T3, T4. If you have enlargement of thyroid gland an ultrasound scan is needed. If required, a fine needle aspiration cytology from thyroid gland also important.

So, just consult with an endocrinologist for further management according to the hormonal status.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Endocrinologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor