What is causing fever and uncontrollable shivering in the stomach area?

Dr. Raju A.T

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in General Health
Question: My son, 12 years, has uncontrollable shivering in the stomach area, and a fever. No sinus congestion or cough but a headache. He is very athletic and does not have a history of illness. Sometimes he has pain around his waist and belly button. No appetite today (Thanksgiving). No sore throat.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

I would like to know some more details on his problem to understand and opine specifically.

Does he vomit or pass loose stools?
Is the pain in the abdomen since he has fever and shivering in the abdomen?
Does he complain of pain on pressing his abdomen?
Do you mean to say he has reduced appetite?
Is fever continuous or intermittent?
Has he been giving any medications -If yes, what is the effect?

Waiting for your reply,

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
No vomiting or loose stools.
The pain in the abdomen has stopped but the fever is 102 degrees
No complaints when I push on his abdomen
Yes, reduced appetite
Fever is continuous but can be reduced with Tylenol and Advil together.

He is pale and sweaty now but sleeping peacefully. FLU?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 17 hours later

Thanks for the information.

Since he had fever associated with chills I do suspect that an infection (probably a bacterial one) is responsible for his symptoms.

I suggest you to take him to his treating doctor as the fever gets as high as 102degrees.Examination of the child is necessary to find the focus of infection, this helps to plan management with specific antibiotics based on the type and site of the infection.

Do continue Tylenol and Advil until further orders by the doctor who may put him on antibiotics.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli