Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

What is causing aching pain in shoulder with pins and needles sensation?

Jun 2015
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 3337 Questions
hi there my name is XXXXXXX 53 years of age hard working carpet fitter i have aching pain top right shoulder for about 2 weeks pins and needles some times in fingers have had treament with caro pra felt great when done massage needle puncture felt great then sports theaepest massage hot stones ice pack much better go back to work starts again on voltarol takes pain away hot water bottle on back right feels great
Posted Sat, 23 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later

Thanks for your query.

Presence of aching pain in top right shoulder with pins and needles sensation can be due to:
1. Nerve compression- as a result of pulled, torn or stressed muscle causing swelling which is pressing on the nerve
2. Bad posture
3. Spinal spondylosis
4. Injury to shoulder region
5. Neuropathy due to systemic diseases like Diabetes, Hypertension, etc.

Based on the fact that symptoms are getting relieved on chiropracty, physiotherapy, massage, hot compress, etc., and starts again on returning back to hard work, it points more towards the role of nerve compression behind as the cause all these symptoms.

Investigations like X-ray of the shoulder region & nerve conduction studies will be helpful in clinching the diagnosis.

Intake of pain killers like voltarol or muscle relaxants can only provide symptomatic relief. However to look for a long term solution, I suggest you to consult a Neurologist & get a proper physical examination done. He/she will know about the aforementioned tests too. An appropriate management steps could be taken accordingly.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if I need to clarify further.

Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor