Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

What is best type of aortic valve replacement surgery for 12 year old active and athletic male?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 567 Questions
What is the best type of aortic valve replacement surgery for a young (12 year old ) very active/athletic male? He would like to continue to play soccer and football. Is that possible? He has shown no symptoms to date. The bicuspid aortic valve stenosis is being described as moderate to severe.
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Jay Patel 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Percutaneous aortic valve replacement Surgery

Detailed Answer:

I am dr XXXXXXX and I will try my level best to address your concerns.

The best surgery is Percutaneous aortic valve replacement, which is the most modern and the least invasive. Percutaneous aortic valve replacement implants the valve using a catheter, without open heart surgery.

So not to cut open heart its the best option and recovery is very,very fast.

I am sorry to inform you but their are higher changes that the surgeon will advice him not to continue with soccer/ football as it will cause more damage, to the replace valve, still you may want to conform it from surgeon because sometime they may allow person to play in moderate level if their things are fine in relative terms.

I think you were looking for above mentioned answer.

Please let me know if you need any more information.
Thanks for the query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiac Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor