Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

What is a sharp stabbing pain in my back when i sneeze?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 1775 Questions
I keep getting a cramp type in top left side of my back occasionally when I sneeze, breathe cough it's quite a sharp stabbing pain I've had a X-ray and chest n lungs all clear
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Prolapse of the disc Detailed Answer: Hi You are giving a typical picture of a intervertebral disc bulge whenever you cough or sneeze. The disc is pushing out the ligaments that it is contained with in. The disc bulge is impinging on the nerves that pass through that part of the spine. These nerves will supply the muscles around that part of the back causing a spasm / cramp. This disc would most often gets back into its place in young people. However in people who have recurrences you need to get an MRI of the spine after careful examination by the spine surgeon. Hope this helps you taking the next step by asking your GP for a referral to spine surgeon.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pulmonologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor