What is a pilar cyst?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Mar 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Yes please! My daughter gave me the name of a diagnosis her dermatologist gave her.
She asked me to look and research some materials.
The Dx: trichilemal cyst " pilar cyst" of the head/scalp
What I found was 1. Cause is unknown. Maybe familial. DOES IT EVER GO AWAY!! AND HOW!! PLEASE HELP,! :-(

2. Most are slow growing in which excision under local is preformed and sent to pathology. Pt to follow up.
3 the proliferating type grow more rapidly and may (rarely) need more extensive care and treatment.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
this is benign cyst

Detailed Answer:
Pilar cyst is a benign lesion arising from hair follicle and this is not uncommon. In most cases it is small and cause no symptoms. It grows very slowly and if there is significant growth or pain,it can be easily removed in local anaesthesia. It can't become malignant or cause anything serious so your don't need to worry at all. It can't disappear by itself so it may be better to remove it surgically when it is still small. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju