What is a good range for heart rate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: what is good pulse range and danger pulse for low and high
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Regarding your concern, I would explain that there is not a specific good range for heart rate.

It depends on the person's physical construction, age and daily physical activity.

Usually a heart rate between 60-100 bpm is considered a normal range.

In active persons (sport persons), a lower heart rate between 45-55 is considered normal.

Lower heart rates (below 45bpm) are considered bradycardia, while higher heart rates (above 100bpm) are considered tachycardia.

Anyway, even these levels are not considered dangerous if they do not cause symptoms like fainting, shortness of breath or lightheadedness.

You should know that lower heart rates are quite physiological during resting or sleep and tachycardia is quite normal during physical activity or emotional stress.

These heart rate changes are related to the activation of the sympathetic nervous system during different activities, as a normal physiological reaction of the body, in order to regulate the blood flow as needed by different organs.

The maximal heart rate for a person, is usually calculated (220-his age in years).

This means that at your age, your heart is able to reach 174 bpm during straining physical activity or any other stress (emotional,caffene or alcohol intake, etc.)., and this is not considered a dangerous medical condition, but just a normal physiological reaction to stress.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.