What is a good range for heart rate?
Regarding your concern, I would explain that there is not a specific good range for heart rate.
It depends on the person's physical construction, age and daily physical activity.
Usually a heart rate between 60-100 bpm is considered a normal range.
In active persons (sport persons), a lower heart rate between 45-55 is considered normal.
Lower heart rates (below 45bpm) are considered bradycardia, while higher heart rates (above 100bpm) are considered tachycardia.
Anyway, even these levels are not considered dangerous if they do not cause symptoms like fainting, shortness of breath or lightheadedness.
You should know that lower heart rates are quite physiological during resting or sleep and tachycardia is quite normal during physical activity or emotional stress.
These heart rate changes are related to the activation of the sympathetic nervous system during different activities, as a normal physiological reaction of the body, in order to regulate the blood flow as needed by different organs.
The maximal heart rate for a person, is usually calculated (220-his age in years).
This means that at your age, your heart is able to reach 174 bpm during straining physical activity or any other stress (emotional,caffene or alcohol intake, etc.)., and this is not considered a dangerous medical condition, but just a normal physiological reaction to stress.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What do the following stress tests, echo and holter monitor test result...
- Suggest alternative treatment for congestive heart failure
- Suggest treatment for hypertension and GERD
- Suggest treatment for high BP and tingling in arms
- What causes sharp pain in chest area relieved by burping?
- Suggest treatment for afib, severe sleep apnea and high heart rate?
- What causes shortness of breath with normal chest X-ray?
- What causes severe pain in my calf muscle in Tietze syndrome?
- What causes altered sense of smell when diagnosed with sinus tachycardia?
- Does page syndrome increase the risk of heart attack?