What is a good cough expectorant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2017
Sep 2017

Pulmonologist
Question
Hello Doctor,
My mother has been suffering from cold symptoms(Heavy headed, neck stiffness back pain and expelling some cough while coughing) for one month, She used OTC cetirizine , the symptoms subsided for some days. Actually our doctor use to prescribe cough expectorant tablet and syrup to remove an entire cough after which she uses to feel very relaxed. Can you suggest any good cough expectorant for the problem.
Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Lung and Chest disorders

Answered by Dr. Kaushal Bhavsar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Give her N acetyl cystine tablet and bronchorex syrup.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question on Healthcare Magic.
I can understand your concern.
So basically you need cough expectorant tablet and syrup.
N acetyl cystine (NAC) is best oral expectorant. In XXXXXXX it is available with brand names like Mucinac, luminac, mucovisc etc.
For syrup, bromhexine and ambroxol containing syrups are very good expectorants.
Commonly available brand names are bronchorex, Brozedex, Aerodil etc.
If they are not available over the counter then better to consult doctor and get prescription.
Hope I have solved your query. I will be happy to help you further. Wishing good health to your mother. Thanks.