What is a cystoscopy test?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Fri, 18 Jul 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question:

what is a cysto test and how does it go?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably you are referring to cystoscopy test.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Cystoscopy is used to examine urinary bladder and urethra in variety of diseases.

Examining doctor uses a hollow tube(cystoscope)equipped with a lens to examine urinary bladder and urethra.The cystoscope is inserted into through the urethra and slowly advanced into the urinary bladder.
Tiny surgical instruments can be inserted through the cystoscope to take samples of tissue (biopsy) or samples of urine.
Small bladder stones and some small growths like papilloma of urinary bladder can be removed during cystoscopy.

During the procedure doctor uses local anesthetic jelly to numb the urethra.
It is an OPD procedure done under sedation.Some cases require general anesthesia.

Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX