What is a brain aneurysm?

Posted on Wed, 3 Dec 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: Dear doctor,
My father is diagnosed with a neurological condition. I am attaching images of diagnosis.. Please guide me towards proper course of action.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Surgery may be preferable.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I have seen the CT and MR angiogram reports of your father.

These reports show that he has an aneurysm (balloon like dilatation arising from a blood vessel) at the back of brain, which is partly clotted with blood.

This aneurysm can cause problems by getting ruptured, which can lead to brain haemorrhage, and also, by causing direct mechanical pressure on the adjacent brain.

This aneurysm needs to be removed or blocked. Options include clipping of aneurysm (a surgical procedure) or coiling of aneurysm (a procedure done by angiogram, without surgery).

First of all, an angiogram of brain arteries (DSA-digital subtraction angiography) should be done to confirm the diagnosis and nature of aneurysm.

Then, the case should be discussed with neurosurgeon and interventional neuroradiologist regarding the options of clipping and coiling procedure.

However, in my opinion, clipping (surgery) may be preferred.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist