What is a Grierson-Gopalan syndrome and does it have any correlation to nerve pain?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 10 Oct 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having pain and burning in my hands and feet. The pain comes and goes throughout the day and night i CANNOT sleep with cover on my feet, they burn. During the day one minute my feet are cold freezing,painful, and sweaty, if i stand for too long I feel pain, while Im sitting i feel pain and if i try to run i feel burning pain. I also feel weakness in different parts of my body that will also come and go. Im not diabetic, Im not B12 deficient, my blood test say Im in perfect health. I've even had a pin prick, vibration and reflex test all normal. I know Im not crazy, Ive even gone so far as bagging ice and sleeping with it on my feet at night. I have been given gabapentin but it just makes me sleepy. Is this ALS, or MS, or Fibromyalga, or some other crazy unknown disease?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to nerve swelling.

Detailed Answer:

Grierson-Gopalan syndrome, is a medical condition that causes severe burning and aching of the feet. Hyperesthesia, and vasomotor changes of the feet can lead to excessive sweating.
It can even affect the eyes, causing scotoma and amblyopia. It can be associated with psychosomatic causes, Vitamin B deficiency, Renal failure (dialysis patients), hypothyroidism, etc.

All your tests are abnormal and the pain and burning can be due to a nerve swelling or soft tissue swelling or fibromyalgia.
In addition to Gabapentin you can try Methylcobalamin supplements.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Praveen Tayal,
Orthopaedic Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng